"Long" can refer to time, distance and size.
- She wore a long dress to the reception.
- She longs for the days when her children were young and at home.
- She longs for the days when her house will be full of grandchildren.
- The days of the single income family are long gone.
- Roger's long gone. He left the office over an hour ago.
A "long shot" is a very small chance.
- There's always a chance that we will win but it's a long shot. The competition is fierce.
"As Long As" refers to a condition, on the condition that ...